Adventure Blog: Crater Lake, Oregon

October 18, 2015

Those that are near can feel its energy.  This was the most mystical place that we visited in Oregon.  Warm with a light sweet and fresh breeze, the smell of nature was intoxicating.  I can still close my eyes and feel the piney aroma of the evergreens fill parts of of my lungs that I forgot existed.  It was like baptising my lungs in nature with air.

If you ever go to Oregon, make sure you stop at the deepest lake in the United States, Crater Lake.
This volcano is astonishingly beautiful and mysterious as it lies in her greatness.   Michelle and I were lucky enough to enjoy and get to know her on our road trip this month.  She's definitely a site to see, Michelle and Crater Lake haha.  Michelle probably knew all of this info about Crater Lake because she's super smart, so here are something important facts she taught me/what I learned.

Before Mount Mazama collapsed on itself, the volcano stood at a massive 12,000 ft.  The implosion created a caldera that is a mind blowing 2,148 ft deep.  The lake is 1,943 ft deep making it the deepest lake in the United States.  Here are a few more questions I asked her with her answer:
  • Me: How did all the water get there, an ice meteor? 
    • Michelle: Haha no, it used to be a volcano but it collapsed on itself.  The water comes from rain and snowfall.
  • Me: That's interesting.  If that's the case, I don't think there's finish in there. What do you think?
    • Michelle: There's probably fish in there. People probably put them in there.
  • Me: I bet you there are no fish in there! You're usually right but I bet there are no fish in there.
    • Michelle: You're wrong. What do you want to bet?
  • Me: I'll bet you In-n-out when we get back.
We made the bet and I made the huge mistake of pointing out a fishing sign while we were driving around the rim.  So I owe her In-n-out.  She also taught me that 2 volcanic islands, Wizard Island and Phantom Ship.  After the crater filled with water, the volcano had a mini eruption inside the caldera leaving volcanic islands.  
Michelle bought a sweet Fox Outfitters hammock which was the best new addition to the adventure.  We set it up at a site area about 7 o'clock if you think of the lake as a clock, off of Rim Road.  We adventured through evergreens, up stairs through the cliffside forest.  I couldn't tell if it was the high altitude by it literally took my breathe away.  This was the perfect spot to hang the hammock.  We hung around for hours and packed up headed to the hot springs.  We stopped at random places along the road, and saw the majestic crater from a variety of angles and got a chance to genuinely appreciate it.  It rocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment