Music Festival Review: CoacHELLyeah!

April 25, 2012


    I never felt so lucky as I woke up on Friday April 13th.  It was a perfect day in Coachella land, the sun was shining, the air was fresh, and the people were eager.  As our troops began to rally, an indescribable energy began to rush through my body; I was ready.

We started Day 1 with R3hab and followed them up with Kendrick Lamar, a new addition to Dr. Dre's Aftermath label.  After his performance, we decided to explore the festival grounds.  The festival was filled with unique and amazing art displays from all over the country.  There were the Giant Black Toobs from Seattle, a giant metal lobster from New Mexico, an mesmerizing Balloon Chain from New York, and my favorite, the Gateway from Los Angeles.  Each piece is a perfect example of modern day art and all of them made the experience more memorable.  After we explored the festival grounds we saw Madeon, Alesso, the Black Keys, and Swedish House Mafia.  There was a rumor that the Mafia would include a laser/light system that was illegal last year, they were the first performers ever to use this because it causes people with epilepsy to seizure.  If you saw the performance, you know what I'm talking about.
    Day 2 seemed like a resting day so we started kind of late.  Childish Gambino was awesome, Zeds Dead was absolutely incredible.  We went back to the camp grounds after that to change into warmer clothes and came back for Sebastian Ingrosso.  I was going to see Ingrosso at the Wavehouse in San Diego but he canceled due to a family emergency.  Either way, his set sounded the same as the Mafia so we left early and went to the main stage for the Shins, who were pretty good for a first listen.  From the main stage we went to see David Guetta, the number 1 DJ in the world, who threw it down like no other.  He's never a disappointment because he ALWAYS puts on a memorable performance because he loves the crowd.  Hence, his guest Usher.  The best performance of the day goes to Sub Focus.  While everyone was at Radiohead and Kaskade, we were the few people at the beginning of Sub Focus, what an honor.  He threw down the sickest, hardest, nastiest, filthiest dubstep/drum and bass that I've ever heard live.  If you missed it, tough luck there's week 2.  It was the most EPIC show thus far.
    Day 3, the day that we've been waiting for and the day that we dreaded the most because we didn't want Coachella to end.  We started the day with Zedd, Flux Pavilion & Dr. P, Porter Robinson, and I migrated to araabMUZIK solo.  Although I don't listen to his music on a daily basis, araabMUZIK was one of my favorite performers.  He brings a unique performance not like any other at the festival.  Rather than using a MacBook or a turntables, he uses multiple beat pads as he creates his music LIVE.  He never looks up,  this is real talent.  If you ever have a chance to see araabMUZIK take that chance! I ditched DADA LIFE to see him and I have no regrets.  Plus he was rockin' a LA Lakers Fitted.  Not to mention I got to see Skrillex in the press area.  After araabMUZIK's performance I met up with my friends for Nero.  This duo was crazy and had the crowd going absolutely wild, to top it off they had a live singer, Alana who tore it up as well.  I'm pretty sure I lost my mind at that time.  While we were walking to see Justice at the main stage, I came across this stage called The Do Lab.  Shit gets kind of weird in The Do Lab but it's fine, it was like the 3 different sizes of ice cream from Cold Stones; I liked it, I loved it, and then I HAD TO HAVE IT.  I kicked it in there for a little and all of a sudden Mimosa comes up on stage and plays a 45 minute surprise set! Then I saw KRADDY, who was also one of my favorite performers.  He threw down a dirty "N*ggas in Paris" remix that got the crowd giggin'. From there we went to DJ Shadow for a while and then finally, DR. DRE, SNOOP DOGG, WARREN G, KURUPT, WIZ, 50 CENT, KENDRICK LAMAR, EMINEM, and what? TUPAC!  My west coast inner child can die happy now that I've seen my favorite performers live.  Even though 50 Cent was out of breathe his whole performance, everyone else killed it.
Day 4, Coachella was so awesome that I had to go back the next weekend, so we went Sunday.  We did pretty much the same thing but saw Girl Talk, who was pretty good and we also saw Minnesota at the Do Lab.  After all is said and done Week 1 was definitely better than Week 2 the surprise factor was a big difference maker.

TOP 10 Performances of Coachella 2012:

1) Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg














2) Sub Focus














3) Zeds Dead
















4) Nero

















5) KRADDY with Mimosa surprise guest
















6) araabMuzik


















7) Swedish House Mafia/ Alesso

















8) Minnesota
















9) Flux Pavilion & Dr. P






















10) the Shins
















Honorable mention Porter Robinson



Coachella was an awesome experience and I suggest that everyone go at least once in there life.  It's not an anti-Christian, Pegan ritual colt gathering for hippies; which is what I was told when I was younger.  It's a festival where good, friendly, and drama free people go to have a good time.  Where strangers become life-long friends and where mass unity becomes feasible.  Everyone is in harmony with the music in the air and attendees are intoxicated with the spirit of Coachella.  See you next year Coachella, Thanks for the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment